Friends:

I normally lurk here, but I find it discouraging that our collective emphasis regarding invasive species still hinges on "detection" and "rapid response" when it should be on thwarting the arrival of potential pests to begin with.  I am not naive, I am fully aware of the powerful interests fueling our global economy, but it is in no one's best interest to continue a reactive rather than proactive approach.  I would like to see at minimum an overhaul of regulations of the nursery industry that provides exotic plants for landscaping purposes.  Meanwhile we need to continue and increase consumer education regarding the benefits of landscaping with native trees, shrubs, herbs, and grasses, and rework "weed ordinances" such that they allow for all *but* noxious and invasive plants.

I could go on about the need for innovative materials and design in shipping containers, vastly more comprehensive port inspections....I don't like the fact that currently the entire burden falls upon my fine colleagues on this listserv.

Happy New Year to everyone.

Cheers,

Eric R. Eaton
Lead author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America
Co-author, Insects Did It First (2018) with Gregory S. Paulson
http://bugeric.blogspot.com/
https://www.flickr.com/people/7519633@N08/