Did you do just a reboot or a complete shutdown and restart?

When you say "hold down the key", you mean hold down the mac Command key to temporarily change the selection tool to the Move Tool (V)? If you change to the actual Move Tool, do you get the same result?

You might also research some way to rip out any Tool preferences file that may be hiding in the Adobe files. If that were to regenerate, it might solve some problems...

Britt