I too tried the cortisone shot and that only worked until I needed to concentrate more on piano and drawing. The surgery was simple, short and permanent. I am allergic to almost all opioid pain meds and had no trouble managing the minimal pain with acetaminophen. I highly recommend the surgery.
MaryBeth