Ha! That is not a kooky suggestion at all.. Because I can't get those cushiony pencil-thick things over my tools! A student put one on a mechanical pencil for me and it works great. but getting it on is the hard part.
I have a vice-like grip also!

Cheers, Chris and
Happy New Year!

Linda M. Feltner Artist LLC