Aside from more pressure sensitivity, they aren't that different.

I went from an Intuois3 (from 2005) to a brand new Cintiq and I did notice a difference which I liked. The line quality is simply better, slightly, and some photoshop brushes respond better. (The older tablets just don't handle some of the new brushes) However, I work mostly in Zbrush and Photoshop.

However, if you aren't primarily a digital artist, I doubt the difference would be very noticeable.