Hi Linda,

I do like the commercially-made scratchboard tools… one is flat and the other looks like a small spoon. The spoon-like one is good for removing larger areas of ink, and the flat one is good for detail (hairy textures, etc.).

I also use scalpels. I like 15c. It has a curved blade, and you can control the width of the line with pressure (much like drawing with a croquill pen). Scalpel blades either have a ridge along the top edge (to make the blade stronger) or they come without a ridge. I use the ones without a ridge and they fit in X-acto holders just fine.

You can also make a tool from paperclips or any piece of metal wire - an old stylus, etc. I use a diamond stone and I wet it with a little water and shape/sharpen to make what I want. Check to make sure the tip is smooth and there are no burrs.

You can also use things like steel wool or sandpaper for establish textures.

Have fun!