From: SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration- <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Kelly Finan <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sunday, January 26, 2020 at 6:41 PM
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [SCIART] Comparing certificate programs in the U.S.

Sorry it's a little late to jump in here but I'm a 2009 graduate of the CSUMB program (then UCSC) and I highly, HIGHLY recommend it. I've had my own science illustration/graphic design business for over ten years and I could never have done it without that program.

I will mention that in 2009 the program was very focused on traditional media - I'd say at least 2/3, maybe 3/4 of our coursework was traditional. It made sense at the time but I really feel like digital illustration has taken the lead in the industry recently with new tools like iPads & Adobe's new software for them. So I hope the program has started to put more emphasis on digital to match the changing field. It would be nice to see them incorporate some 3-D graphics and 3-D animation. Recent grads, what's the program like these days?

Kelly