Sorry for my error below, in the "For comps with bugs" 3rd paragraph belowk,
"1) recent donations." should have read: "1) recent sales."

From: Entomological Collections Network Listserve
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of William B. Warner
Sent: Saturday, January 4, 2020 1:22 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: FMV vs. replacement value; RE: vouchering query: Types deposited in
private collections

Off the original subject here, but:  There seems to be a persistent
misunderstanding of "Fair Market Value" amongst collections administrators,
who are asked to place values on donations for their administation, vs.
donors that have to place a FMV on their collections in able to write off
the donation for taxes.  Note that there is really no difference between
donated bugs and any other donated property other than real estate where
more formal statues exist.   In the case of a donee institution receiving
donations and being required to place a value on them for administrators, it
would be best to view that case the same as someone establishing an
"insurance value" on art or jewelry, because the replacement cost of the
property comes into play.  For the donor, fair market value (basically what
a willing buyer would pay a willing seller in an unforced situation), NOT
replacement value (i.e. what it would cost you to replace the item if lost)
is required, and if the total donation of like items (i.e. all the bugs a
donor donates in a given year, no mater to how many institutions) exceeds
$5000, the donor is required to get an appraisal from an independent
appraiser.  Just like for real estate, jewelry, cars, art, etc., that
appraisal better be supported by an analysis of comps if challenged by the
IRS.  IT IS ILLEGAL for the donee to establish FMV for a donor, so again
there are two different processes here, and the actual numbers are usually
larger for replacement value than for FMV.  So, it might be best to keep
such "replacement values" as an internal number, or if you want to inform
donors, make sure that you very distinctly label such numbers as your
internal valuation for replacement value only and that you are definitely
not trying to establish FMV for them to use with IRS.

There is also much misunderstanding of FMV by donors, who sometimes mistake
replacement value estimations by institutions as FMV; I've even had friends
occasionally say how thay like one or another institution because they "give
me higher value for my donation!!"  If challenged, I'd hate to be that donor
(or donee worrying about their administrators' wrath) trying to explain that
situation in front of an administrative law judge!!  Ditto for an appraiser
that provides an out-of-whack high appraisal value!

For comps with bugs, your choices basically boil down to: 1) recent
donations of whole collections (this is both an uncommon situation, and
actual prices paid are usually not public information), and 2) pricing
information readily available from insect dealers, online auctions, etc.
Those change over time, so the information needs to be captured in the case
file at least for the donation year in order to provide comps if IRS
challenges the FMV (for estates, the number apparently expires 6 months from
date of death).  Also, nearly all vendors have large discounts (sometimes
25-50%) for large orders on the magnitude of larger donations, so in an
appraiser's analysis a big donation needs to be reasonably discounted for
FMV.  On the bright side, check out Bioquip's price list (or that of any of
the dozens of other dealers) and you will rarely see prices below $5 for a
single identified specimen of any insect.  And some of the collectable,
showy species can go for $X00 or more apiece (i.e. fire your appraiser if
they value your drawer of rare Chrysina or Morpho or giant dynastines at $5
each).

So, donors, make sure you (if under $5k) use FMV (including a defendable
discount, not straight-line value from a pricelist), maintain comps annually
at least until the statutory time limit expires for that tax year, and if
over $5K, make sure your appraiser maintains a good case file with the
comps, uses an actual analysis of FMV (not straight-line pricing) that
includes discounts.and is willing to show up in court to defend their
analyses if it comes to that.  (And appraisers, note you have both statutory
and civil liability for misrepresentation in your appraisals-less onorus
than a real estate appraiser, but no different than an art appraisor; you
could be sued by donors for malpractice!!)

For institutions:  If I was a collections manager or curator being required
to place value on donations by administrators, I would use replacement cost,
not FMV; again, donation value and replacement value are different numbers
for different uses!

Cheers,

Bill