Dear Laurence et al,

Some major museums are extremely pleased to be able to voucher material from interesting studies. It increases the representation, recency, data coverage/ time series and citation relevance of the collection in their care, so if it is a collection that employs Collections Management staff they may be pleased to assist.

Some collections are mothballed or sidelined - especially if all the staff have other priorities/ primary responsibilities. Others have unfortunately little or no investment, and some do not make material available (i.e. by allowing visitors/ having a loan system).  It is generally pretty easy to see if a collection is 'active' and alive or if it is in stasis.

Perhaps the instructions for authors, as a flexible document, might actually recommend institutions which accept/ welcome deposition of vouchers, with contact details?

best wishes

Max

Maxwell V. L. Barclay
Senior Curator in Charge