It is good RES is doing this.  All journal editors should insist on some vouchers deposited in a public institutional collection for all, especially for non-taxonomic papers - taxonomists regularly do this.
Also for taxonomic papers journal editors should not allow publications that deposit primary types in private collections, i.e.,  inaccessible to all science.

Some collections actually charge a archiving fee for vouchered collections that helps the maintenance costs of such storage long term, but some institutions can better afford to store reasonable amounts.

Also all l universities should require degrees that used biological material to have vouchers deposited as part of granting the degrees.

From: Entomological Collections Network Listserve <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of laurence packer <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, January 3, 2020 10:18 AM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: vouchering query

External Email - Exercise Caution

Some of you may know that the Royal Entomological Society Journal Editors have discussed how to improve taxonomic validation
in papers they publish.
A sticking point for some is the need to voucher material given that many museum collections do not have the capacity to house
much material.
I am seeking guidance on what to recommend - are some of you willing to accept vouchers of particular taxonomic groups?  Of
particular taxonomic groups, or all insects, from particular geographic areas?
If you'd like to reply to me directly rather than through the listserv please email me at [log in to unmask]

thanks

laurence packer