Dear Laurence,
In my experience, I have no issues wanting to accept the specimens from ecological studies - the only issues I have had is the condition those specimens are in

More often than not - vouchering is an afterthought. Ecological studies generate vast numbers of specimens, and proper mounting and curating of those specimens is usually not taken into account by the ecologists or the persons in their lab. Hence, when they get to the end of the project, generally the specimens are all in vials, have codes or reference numbers, and have not been gleaned through to select the most meaningful taxa for vouchering. The data is in spreadsheets instead of a database or in a Darwin Core Archive, and often needs major cleaning (if they send it at all).

Because most museums are on shoestring budgets - taking on such a donation would mean months or years of curatorial effort for the one (or two) full-time staff who would take in the donation.

The best experiences I’ve had are talking to ecologists before the material comes to the collection and had them curate the specimens beforehand, using templates or materials I’ve provided, so that by the time it comes to the collection, all I have to do is import the DWCA/spreadsheet into our database, move the specimens into their appropriate unit trays, and create some header tray labels. THAT is the gold standard for how we want ecologists to voucher specimens.

Unfortunately, some ecologists come asking about vouchering having given no thought to time or effort that it will take to properly voucher their specimens in a collection - and generally just want us to “take care of it” when we really have no time or resources to do so.

Hope this helps - and best of luck,

--
TOMMY MCELRATH
Insect Collection Manager

Illinois Natural History Survey
Prairie Research Institute
1816 S. Oak Street | M/C 652
Champaign, IL 61820
insect.inhs.illinois.edu

facebook    instagram

Under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act any written communication to or from university employees regarding university business is a public record and may be subject to public disclosure.