Picking up on Tommy's comment, ...

Does the insect collections / museum community have a 'white paper' on the
topic of vouchering of specimens derived / offerred in donation from
ecological studies ?

The story that Lawrence seeks should be memorialized in a document that
speaks to the Ecologist with a full and timely voice. (And perhaps it is?
After all, it's been an issue that has been repeatedly raised and
experienced for the past 50 years that I've been watching. Why has the
message not been heard and had an effect?)

Is it still OK for grant funders of ecological studies to not require from
applicants an intent to provide sound vouchering practices by the projects
they fund?

Or, have we learned that this traditional form of vouchering (deposition of
specimens in museums) is no longer necessary, and that message simply has
not been heard / understood by the targetted collections / museums ?

Peter