The AMS Cold War and Music Study Group (CWMSG) and the SMT Post-1945 Music Analysis Interest Group invite proposals for a joint session on the topic of “Mediating the Cold War,” to be held at the annual meeting of the AMS and SMT in Minneapolis, Minnesota, from November 5–8, 2020.

Recent scholarship in music studies, among other disciplines, has demonstrated the central role that technology and mediation have played in shaping musical practices of the Cold War era, as well as our understanding of these practices during this geopolitical conflict and in its aftermath. The aim of this panel is to encourage further conversations on these topics—both within and across our study groups—and to explore future avenues for scholarship. To this end, we invite prospective panelists to submit 300-word proposals for lightning talks on research related to music, technology, and the Cold War across a wide range of geographic regions and geopolitical contexts. We welcome and encourage talks that deal with examples outside of Europe and the United States. Prospective topics could include work on Cold War “media events,” electronic music studios, considerations of the Cold War’s “technological arms race” and its musical ramifications, the role of radio stations and journalism in creating and disseminating music during the Cold War, individual compositions with a technological component, and intersections between technology and race, gender politics, and/or disability studies in the Cold War era.

The full Call for Papers, with further guidelines for proposal submissions, is available at the CWMSG website: http://ams-net.org/cwmsg/currentamssession

The deadline for submitting proposals is February 24, 2020. Submit your abstract as an anonymized pdf to Tara Boyle (antares -at- pdx.edu). In your e-mail, please provide your name, the proposed title of your talk, your primary society affiliation (SMT, AMS, both or neither), any AV requirements you anticipate at this stage, and a very brief (50-word) bio. Abstracts will be reviewed anonymously, and applicants will be informed of the reviewer’s decisions by March 9, 2020.

Interested participants who have queries about the panel can contact either the current chair of the AMS Cold War and Music Study Group (Martha Sprigge, msprigge -at- music.ucsb.edu), or the co-chairs of the SMT Post-1945 interest group (Tara Boyle, antares -at- pdx.edu, and Laura Emmery, laura.emmery -at- emory.edu).