To those of you who receive this post multiple times, I apologize in advance. -- Johanne

23nd Annual Bobbin & Weaving, 2020

March, Friday 13th, (after work hours), Saturday 14th, & Sunday 15th

'Aine nic Taillieur's Manor

It's that time of year again. This is our 23nd year! This year we need a bit of preface. Bobbin & Weaving began as an Estrella pity party all those years ago. Estrella is no longer as important in this Kingdom as it once was. Because of that, our Kingdom moved Queen’s Prize Tourney to our traditional weekend. B&W will now be a Gulf Wars pity party. We realize this means our retreat will probably be more lightly attended. This was the only viable weekend for our organizers and the availability of our site. I’m very sorry if you won’t be able to come because of that. We will miss you!

Also, this will be our last year at ‘Aine and Lenny’s. When we lost ‘Aine, we lost our heart. Lenny has kindly extended an invitation to hold one last B&W in his home. He and ‘Aine have kindly hosted many events over the years: Bobbin & Weaving, Heraldic Retreats, Moneyers’ Guild retreats, Household Retreats, Unslung Heroes, Bardic Bedlam and others. When B&W attendance reached 21, it outgrew my house. When it reached 35, it outgrew Lasair’s house. We have comfortably hosted 65+ people at ‘Aine and Lennys. Lenny will be selling the property this year so we will be looking for a different site for future B&Ws.

All of that being said, for this year, bring your latest project and join us for a weekend of fun and camaraderie. A number of people have offered to teach just about anything you might like to learn, such as kumihimo, tablet weaving, pick-up inkle weaving, spinning, needle felting, felting, knitting, nalbinding, sprang, etc. We don't normally schedule formal classes but contact me [log in to unmask] ahead of time so I can let people know if you want a particular class or for info on supplies you might need. Also contact me if there is something YOU would like to teach so I can let people know. There is a huge sewing/craft room, so if you would like to bring your sewing machine and work on garb, there will be space. As people contact me with things they would like to learn, or to teach, I will be sending out updates.

Mistress Dorcas will be there with her heraldic tools and books at your disposal. You can work up a new name, device or badge that weekend and hand the finished submissions to Dorcas to be mailed for registration.

We have a wonderful time sharing, visiting and getting to know each other better. If you do anything involving string, fabric, fiber or fiber techniques in any form, this is the place for you. If you have projects in the works for Kingdom A&S, bring them to work on. Lasair will have an abbreviated merchant booth set up with a wealth of fiber goodies. Garren is usually there with his beautiful inkle/tablet weaving looms, fabric stamps and fiber tools for sale.

Friday night we, visit and settle in. Saturday is spent visiting, taking or giving classes, or working on projects. Unfortunately, the house is being prepped for sale, so the pool will not be open this year. There is an elevator for those of us who are stair challenged. We have a pot luck Saturday evening, and more work and visiting. Sunday we usually make a run to Yarn Barn, weather permitting, and have lunch in Lawrence, KS. You are welcome to come all weekend or just one day. We would ask that, this year, if you could take a bit of time before you leave, we could use some help putting the house back to rights. Normally, Kristine, Vincent and crew are there to help Lenny with this. This year, they will be at Gulf Wars.

There are ample kitchen facilities and refrigeration. Bring your own snacks and drinks and something for the potluck on Saturday. We never coordinate it and it is always exceptional.

Garb is optional. Many of us spend the day in our pajamas. Many wear modern clothes. Wear what you are most comfortable in. There is no dress code

This part doesn't apply to day trippers. There is space for sleeping but, due to fire codes, the space will be limited to a first reply, first served basis. When requesting sleeping space, please contact me (johannefishergate@gmail). I will send out a list of the people who have already replied. Please respond if your plans have changed or if we somehow missed you. Some of us will be bunking in the huge, heated garage. Whichever place you sleep, you will need to bring your own, warm sleeping gear. The garage can be cool at night. There are also motels close by. If anyone wants motel info, please let me know.

There will be plenty of table space and chairs, but if you want to be assured of comfort, bring your favorite portable chair.

For those of you with allergies, there are no indoor animals (unless you count the occasional bunnies who come as guests). If I have forgotten anything, which isn't uncommon these days, just contact me. My cell: 816-645-6460

The estate gate closes at 11 p.m. If you will be arriving after that time, Friday night, please call to let me know.

Hope to see many of you there,

Johanne

Directions:

The Grain Valley exits are about 25 miles East of Kansas City.

The Address is 8415 South Corn, Oak Grove Mo. 64075-6202

From I-70: Exit at the Grain Valley exit, Buckner Tarsney Road (about the 24.5 mile marker). Turn South and go about 3.5 miles. Then Turn left on to Nebgen (the right turn says Major). Go about one block then turn right (this will be Corn). Go about 1/2 mile. The driveway is on the left. White fence, numbers on the post You will not be able to see the house from the road.

From 50 Highway: Exit at the Grain Valley exit Buckner Tarsney Road (between the exits for Blue Springs and Oak Grove). Go North about 8.5 miles then turn right onto Nebgen (the left turn says Major). Go about one block then turn right (this will be Corn). Go about 1/2 mile. The driveway is on the left, white fence, numbers on the post. You will not be able to see the house from the road.

Sent from my iPad

Sent from my iPad