I believe this problem is solved, at least for now. the white border was simply the fact that the image was smaller than the paper, there wasn't actually a white border, just the image centered on the sheet. i saved files as pdf/X and that seemed to work for them. I had tried pdf/A but there was something about the file that format didn't like. I tried to figure it out but life is too short to wade through all of that technical gibberish. Getting lazy in my dotage.

thanks!
Gail