Hi  Linda

    I use both, but paypal mostly for purchasing.. it is pretty
universally available at sites online, and offers some purchase
protection when the "goods and services" option is chosen.  This results
in a small fee to the seller, not the buyer.

If you are the buyer using paypal , you have this option sending money,
buying goods and services.  Sending money to friends does not incur
fees. The choice belongs to the sender/buyer.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.flickr.com_photos_stephendicerbo_49526142411_in_dateposted-2Dpublic_&d=DwIDaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=AGYZ7-AeerjxzYnIwL-lBLFI3SPYN3BDmku4qGQB4Tg&m=gsuL2pJdH-cRbAOZomH6HOZJH5L_bw02_L3ZEdltkpE&s=zUX97vXlRUnxKIi_nMgWNwAyMhviAPvJ7J5DEqCl2Kc&e=

You can also send invoices via email with paypal.   I do not know about
any remote functionality for paypal.com for accepting charges.

I use Square (Up)  primarily for sales.  The remote functions work very
well,  but will also need to rely on your phone signal for iPhone/smart
phone   or iPad  at the Farmer's Market out in an airfield somewhere.
I am just amazed that this can be done at all... !

You can accept credit cards, including Amex and Discover (in case you
were wondering)  ,  and for the customer it functions as just a normal
card transactions.  Receipts are offered and sent via email to customer.
The Customer doesn't have the added layer of buyer protection offered
with a paypal transaction, but protection from their card companies are
ample.

There are 3 ways to accept payment with Square..  the chip reader, the
swiper, and direct number entry.   The chip reader offers protection for
card fraud. You can still use the other methods, but in the way out
chance of card fraud...   you will lose that money from that transaction
if you use a chip card in a swiper. This comes from the card companies,
and so, naturally, is part of square's processing Requirements...
With the advent of new, more secure chips on cards, the Card companies
set a date like a year ago or so , after which they would  not to
protect Card Fraud from swiped transactions on chip cards.

As for the swipe readers, the original ones were fitted with audio plug
access to your phone, which is non existent in the newer phones . Then
they came out with one that connects with the lightning charger of you
iPhone .  I do not know if any swipe mechanisms ever existed  for iPads,
as I am new to them.

But the chip reader is the way to go, which works with all phones and
iPad via bluetooth.  Mostly for fraud protection. But keep the swiper
and number entry in your back pocket for just in cases. Successful field
sales will depend on  (and I have had some incidents to learn this) The
charge on your phone or iPad. The cell phone signal signal strength to
those devices.  The charge on your chip reader.  The bluetooth
connection between the reader and the device. And ,lastly updated
software...

But this is all manageable just stay on top of charging everything , and
being in a strong cell signal area...     In the very rare chance that
you might accept a sale with no cell signal, to enter as soon as you get
within range of one...   ask to shoot a photo of the customers card,
front and back, and drivers license ... you can enter that charge after
the fact with a direct number entry. You won't have a signature,  but if
you pack along and old school swiping machine with carbon copy receipts
, you can capture a signature.. ( I am not sure of the amount of
protection this would offer when not dealing directly with a bank, but
it should)

There is an acceptable fee for transactions, much less than dealing
directly with banks and CC companies, and it is a little more for a
swipe than a chip read, I believe, and maybe a little more for a number
entry.  Another reason to do all possible to rely on the chip reader...

In the end,  all very reasonable route to be able to accommodate
customers in what most times is an impulse buy,  and sell your goods or
services.

Heres what the Square swipe readers look like and the base model chip
reader.. (there are fancier models , some that print receipts.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.flickr.com_photos_stephendicerbo_49526142426_in_dateposted-2Dpublic_&d=DwIDaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=AGYZ7-AeerjxzYnIwL-lBLFI3SPYN3BDmku4qGQB4Tg&m=gsuL2pJdH-cRbAOZomH6HOZJH5L_bw02_L3ZEdltkpE&s=yw5zuLp3-JM8OyfhGxN1UCSJdMg8irX_BFa-MhI0GGs&e=

a bit of info from Square about the chip reader....   of course the
"audio plug" swiper  is likely not applicable, as I assume you have an
iPhone, you would need the one for lighting charger connection. A
contactless + chip reader would allow you to accept charges from not
only inserted chip cards, but a "touch charge" from a customers phone
such as Applepay , etc.

What is the difference between the chip card reader and the contactless
+ chip reader?

Great Question. Here are the key differences:

*Square chip card reader*

  * Accepts both magstripe and chip cards
  * Does not accept contactless (NFC) payments like Apple Pay
  * Plugs into the headset jack of your mobile device to accept payments

*Square contactless and chip reader*

  * Costs $49
  * Accepts chip cards and contactless (NFC) payments like Apple Pay
  * Works with the magstripe reader (included in your order) to accept
    magstripe cards
  * Works with Square Stand – plug it into the USB hardware hub for
    instant setup
  * Connects to your supported device wirelessly with Bluetooth LE

    read more here

    https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__squareup.com_help_us_en_article_5582-2Dsquare-2Dcontactless-2Dand-2Dchip-2Dcard-2Dreader-2Dfaqs&d=DwIDaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=AGYZ7-AeerjxzYnIwL-lBLFI3SPYN3BDmku4qGQB4Tg&m=gsuL2pJdH-cRbAOZomH6HOZJH5L_bw02_L3ZEdltkpE&s=QdVPQl3y27kIPj7zQGVC2rd25Cnhhw1PfQlgYBGAce0&e=

    I probably rambled off course , but I hoped some of that helped...

    P.S.  I would set up a paypay account in addition to Square, neither
    costs just to have, and paypal may come in handy depending on your
    customer's needs and type of transactions. Also for yout purchasing
    needs.

      Cheers form hopelessly mired in chasing retail,  Stephen, !!!