On 2/12/2020 12:13 PM, Linda Feltner wrote:
[log in to unmask]"> Thank you Stephen!
This is very helpful.

I do have a PayPal account, but not really satisfied with it, with my latest sales. Two customer service reps cannot give me the same answer to questions, and they just re-organized their FAQs, which is not as user-friendly as I would assume.

Your experience in all retail conditions has been very helpful. What about the signal, what if the card won't "tap" (that happened in OZ) not all cards tap, but swiping is the option, but one loses "benefits".

yes,  and unfortunately I don't have any overseas experience but I know everyone has a fee for converting currency...    If you are looking to pass on or incorporate card charges,  I am pretty sure that Square spells it out in percentages...

check here.....     https://squareup.com/us/en/pricing?solution=pricing-in-person-payments

I am sure that with a bit of looking you could find the currency conversion charge, too....

as for the TAP   I have yet to have to deal with tap sales....   but I believe that these refer to things like applepay. which do not involve cards, but are an app on a smartphone...   the customer "taps" the phone.  The Chip card reader I am referring to works by inserting the chip end of the card into the reader, which will transmit the card info to the square app on your device via bluetooth  . So basically your reader needs to be near the device, but the chip card use the customer/you encounters is the same as in a retail store.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stephendicerbo/49527089602/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stephendicerbo/49526354033/in/dateposted-public/

the "signal"  is the cell phone signal which allows the app on your phone to deposit the CC sale instantly into your account, via wireless phone signal...    I have not had to resort to it, but I think it may also be possible to do the transaction end between the card, the reader and your device at time of sale, then upload the transaction to your account when you get in range of a cell phone signal , if your cell phone coverage is NG at the transaction site...   you could google this and probably find info about it....   then any  retaining fraud coverage, and the fee percentage would likely be  preserved because you used the chip reader instead of the swiper or manual number insert.

If I didn't mention you can also send credit card invoices with Square, although I am not sure if there is a fee difference (I think there is bet)  or fraud coverage....    . Email invoicing with fraud coverage seems like a thing to look for in overseas transactions.

I just checked my records (Square does a decent job of keeping accessible accounting records of all your transactions, too )   For Sales from my website (ecommerce) paid and for email invoices paid, the fee was 2.90% = $0.30...     for a "dipped"  (read) chip card direct in person sale, the fee was 2.75%.

An overseas customer paying by email invoice would not likely incur overseas phone charges for either of you, but those would likely be part of the transaction if you were processing a card sale while you were in Paris with your US phone service.

let me know if I can throw more at you (I Promise it'll likely not be made up.. ha ha)

Stephen

PS  as for customer service...    I only dealt with Square up customer service once  from the airfield farmers market in the woods, and he helped me update(download) on my phone square app so it would function properly with the reader . Thankfully Verizon wireless had decent coverage in that part of the north country.  But the dude was really helpful.  It is unknown to me at this time if you might wind up talking to someone in Malaysia , but at the time ..
well all was good ...  I think I even got a sale that day.

[log in to unmask]"> I would prefer to know in advance of all the "likely" charges that I would receive, for I know the customer is A-OK with the price. .  Plus the overseas phone charges by using the phone comes in to play.

Again, thank you for your thoughts,
Cheers,
Linda
Linda M. Feltner Artist LLC