I’ve used PayPal to pay back friends after dinner/shared expenses. In these cases there is no fee only if I transfer the funds from my bank or from a Paypal balance (no credit card involved).

I believe it only asks if a contact is “friends or family” for the first transaction, and then remembers that setting for all subsequent transactions. I was exploring the app just now and couldn’t easily see an option to change how a contact was categorized. This is the PayPal app version 7.19.1 using iOS 13.3.1

Additionally, for me if I select “send an invoice” it wants to switch me to the PayPal business app. It’s possible that if you request money through the Business app there is no “friends and family”.  The company appears to have one PayPal app designed around paying back friends and paying for goods and services (“PayPal: Mobile Cash”), and the other PayPal app (“PayPal Business”) designed around running a business and selling goods and services. I suspect that’s why you ran into that hiccup with your friend.

Angelica