I concur with previous comments so far, but I'd like to make one criticism if I may, brought to you from someone who absolutely respects science and admires scientists....

"Do we really know there is a biodiversity crisis in invertebrates?"  While this is a fair question, and whereas many of my learned colleagues have repeatedly stated that we do not have adequate, quantitative, historical data to reach any kind of conclusion on the state of abundance and diversity of invertebrates....None of them is saying "Our bad, we did not know we would ever need this information.  Our priorities in funding and research have revolved overwhelmingly around the impacts of insects on human health, agriculture, and to a lesser degree on forestry.  In essence, entomology research has been almost exclusively *economic entomology* research."

Instead, what we hear is how evidence of insect decline is anecdotal, amateurish, and mostly useless information.  Wow.  We wonder why people don't trust science any longer.  It is this kind of condescending attitude  and refusal to accept responsibility for "failures" of science that piss people off.  It is kind of a wonder we have any citizen scientists at all when they are valued only slightly.

Clarifying *why* we, as scientists, are skeptical of an "insect apocalypse" would go a long way to improving public understanding of the controversy, and go a long way in rebuilding public trust in the scientific method that requires reproducible results.

Eric R. Eaton
Lead author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America
http://bugeric.blogspot.com/