All,

Apologies for the cross posting.  Since I know we have some ECN members (who aren’t ESA members presently) that have students that would be eligible to apply for these awards, I wanted to pass along three excerpts from President Zaspel’s recent SysEB newsletter in case you might have missed it.

Student Research Travel Award (SRTA) applications for 2020 are now being accepted

The Governing Council of the Systematics, Evolution, and Biodiversity (SysEB) section invites applications for the annual Student Research Travel Award (SRTA) Program. Current undergraduate and graduate students who are members of the SysEB section are eligible to apply. Travel Awards provide funding for student fieldwork and/or research travel to other institutions to enhance research projects. Typical awards range from $1,000 to $1,500. For information on how to apply visit https://www.entsoc.org/syseb/student-research-travel-award. Applications are due Friday, March 13, 2020.

Richard Fall Memorial Internship: Undergraduate award for 2020

The Richard Fall Memorial Internship was established to provide undergraduate students with hands-on experience working in and with established entomological collections in North America over the summer months. The award amount of $2,000 is given directly to the student and is meant to offset living and travel expenses. It is not intended to pay for research expenses. For more detailed information on the criteria of the award and instructions to apply, please visit https://www.entsoc.org/syseb/fall-memorial. Applications are due Friday, March 13, 2020.

Other SysEB Awards deadlines
As in previous years, the deadlines for the Thomas Say Award, the BioQuip Products Undergraduate Scholarship, the Edith Patch Memorial Research Award, and the Snodgrass Memorial Research Award will be later in the year. The deadline for applications for all of these other awards is Monday, June 1, 2020. More information about each of these award programs including eligibility requirements, application details and deadlines can be found on the SysEB Awards website: https://www.entsoc.org/syseb/awards.

I’m the current Awards Committee chair for the SysEB section as Past President, and I’m happy to answer any questions that you or your students might have.

Happy Friday, Happy Valentine’s Day, and for you fellow federal workers, Happy Long Weekend!!!

Floyd

Floyd W. Shockley, Ph.D., F.R.E.S.

Collections Manager

Department of Entomology
National Museum of Natural History

Smithsonian Institution
P.O. Box 37012, MRC 165
Washington, DC 20013-7012

Tel (office): 202-633-0982
Fax (office): 202-786-2894
Email:  [log in to unmask]

The National Museum of Natural History (NMNH) complies with all U.S. export and sanctions laws, as well as fish, wildlife and other regulations applicable to the importation and exportation of specimens and research materials. Please consider the country of origin and nature of any specimen, sample, object or material shipped to NMNH, and if applicable, ensure that it is properly licensed and otherwise compliant with U.S. law prior to shipment.

SMITHSONIAN INSTITUTION

NATIONAL MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY