I cannot compete with Vinton's story for romance, yet I can talk about tolerant spouses. My wife and I spent our 48th wedding anniversary in a Motel 6, and ate our anniversary dinner at a McDonalds when I went searching for moth larvae in Mesilla NM. When we were first dating in 1966, I took her moth collecting on our third date. I wanted to get that out in the open right up front. If she could not deal with my passion, no sense spending any more time with her. She accepted moth collecting, thus the Motel 6 and McDonalds 48 years later!

Eric Metzler
Alamogordo, NM

________________________________
From: Entomological Collections Network Listserve <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Vinton Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2020 2:43 PM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: A Valentine's Day entomological tale

External Email - Exercise Caution

I cannot resist sharing a small entomological tale I tripped across today.  While sorting out specimens related to a new spittlebug species from the California coast I was looking closely at six specimens I borrowed from the Field Museum.  They were collected in Carmel, California by C.L. Hubbs on June 17, 1918.  They are the oldest specimens in the materials before me and Hubbs was a familiar name, so I did a little online sleuthing.

Turns out Carl Hubbs was a well known ichthyologist who spent the core of his career at the University of Michigan.  But, from Wikipedia and his National Academy of Sciences obit I found that he had spent three years, 1917-1920, as an assistant curator at the Field Museum, that he came originally from California, and  that he and his wife had met at Stanford.  They were married on June 15, 1918.  Evidently he was an all around naturalist and collected the specimens before me while they were on their honeymoon in Carmel.

My wife Ruth and I spent three lovely days there in August 2018, collecting some of the same bugs while staying a charming little bungalow, by coincidence just a hundred years later.  How's that for a little bug romance!

Happy Valentines day to all,

Vinton