I'd like everyone to think a bit more about this proposal.

See this first: http://www.levyinstitute.org/publications/the-economic-response-to-the-coronavirus-pandemic

I admit that things have deteriorated greatly in the 5 days (!!) since we wrote that piece.

People need free testing; free medical care; debt relief; paid sick leave (NOT Pelosi's bait and switch, which excludes 85% of all workers--thanks Nancy for excluding Wall Street and megacorps).

Many have lost their jobs (some permanently); many are losing their small businesses.

They need additional help--expanded and more generous unemployment compensation for example.

The homeless need special attention, more urgently than pre-crisis.

"cash" should be targeted; care and compassion should be indiscriminately supplied.

A small BIG is not the answer. As the virus spreads, infecting perhaps 2/3 or 3/4 of the population, putting cash into everyone's hands is not the answer.

It is the "free market" solution favored by Silicon Valley and others who think we will eliminate most workers and just turn them into consumers who are otherwise detached from the economy and the political system. As Naomi Klein put it, this is shock doctrine--and the virus is the perfect shock to implement the doctrine.

More cash indiscriminately handed out + loss of maybe half or more of the labor force + disruption of global supply chains = significant fall of output = ???

This is a REAL crisis, not a situation of insufficient aggregate demand. More cash will not get more people onto airlines or into restaurants. We are a service sector economy. Much of that requires physical proximity.

L. Randall Wray
Senior Scholar, Levy Economics Institute

Professor of Economics, Bard College

Emeritus Professor, University of Missouri-Kansas City

Co-editor Journal of Post Keynesian Economics
ISSN 0160-3477 (Print), 1557-7821 (Online)
www.tandfonline.com/toc/mpke20/current

http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/mpke20/current

Recent Books:

A Great Leap Forward: Heterodox Economic Policy for the 21st Century; Randall Wray; Paperback ISBN: 9780128193808; Academic Press; Published Date: 22nd January 2020; https://www.elsevier.com/books/a-great-leap-forward/wray/978-0-12-819380-8

Macroeconomics; Author(s): William Mitchell, L. Randall Wray, Martin Watts; Red Globe Press, Macmillan International; February 2019; https://www.macmillanihe.com/page/detail/Macroeconomics/?K=9781137610669.

Why Minsky Matters: An Introduction to the work of a maverick economist, Princeton University Presshttp://press.princeton.edu/titles/10575.html

Modern Money Theory: a primer on macroeconomics for sovereign monetary systems, Palgrave Macmillan http://www.palgrave.com/page/detail/modern-money-theory-l-randall-wray/?isb=9781137539908

Please make note of my new email address as I will be transitioning all email to: