Terry: agreed, and this is more helpful to most Americans than The Donald's cash--which won't keep them in their houses. If you add up rent/mortgage, utilities, credit card + auto+student loan and other debts, health insurance for the average US family you are at about $3400 per month, plus $600 for food to take you to $4k for "necessities". Ramping up the cash even to a Bernie level just means you keep the landlords and Wall Street's blood sucking vampire squids in business. Makes no sense.

Far better: ramp up unemp comp, free medicare for all for duration of crisis, and moratorium on all debts, all bills, all taxes for duration. And ramp up free food, clothing, shelter, medical services everywhere they are needed. A social response to the crisis, not the free market, every man and woman for himherself, approach of a small BIG.

With respect to the banks, note that they fail only when govt says they fail. (Just ask Chinese banks!) In other words, they stay in business even if no loan payments are made. They can carry the loans on their books as good assets if the govt lets them. Anyway, they don't hold mortgages, student loans, credit card debt, car loans--they securitized most of them. Much of that securitized garbage is govt guaranteed. The servicers have to service the securities, but last I looked there were only 3 of those and they are Wall Street's big boys that none of us should shed tears for.

Not saying there won't be fallout from the moratorium but it will come slowly and can be dealt with later. An immediate moratorium and prohibition on foreclosures and evictions and repossessions will help Americans much more than Donald's re-election checks.

L. Randall Wray
Senior Scholar, Levy Economics Institute

Professor of Economics, Bard College

Emeritus Professor, University of Missouri-Kansas City

Co-editor Journal of Post Keynesian Economics
ISSN 0160-3477 (Print), 1557-7821 (Online)
www.tandfonline.com/toc/mpke20/current

http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/mpke20/current

Recent Books:

A Great Leap Forward: Heterodox Economic Policy for the 21st Century; Randall Wray; Paperback ISBN: 9780128193808; Academic Press; Published Date: 22nd January 2020; https://www.elsevier.com/books/a-great-leap-forward/wray/978-0-12-819380-8

Macroeconomics; Author(s): William Mitchell, L. Randall Wray, Martin Watts; Red Globe Press, Macmillan International; February 2019; https://www.macmillanihe.com/page/detail/Macroeconomics/?K=9781137610669.

Why Minsky Matters: An Introduction to the work of a maverick economist, Princeton University Presshttp://press.princeton.edu/titles/10575.html

Modern Money Theory: a primer on macroeconomics for sovereign monetary systems, Palgrave Macmillan http://www.palgrave.com/page/detail/modern-money-theory-l-randall-wray/?isb=9781137539908

Please make note of my new email address as I will be transitioning all email to: