Hi Ron,

Can you perhaps look at [accurate] illustrations of SARS or MERS which are also forms of Coronaviruses and might have similar structure to COVID-19?

Scientists should have been working on vaccines for coronaviruses after SARS and MERS happened. But funding has been scarce: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__apple.news_Af5XsBR2ISjqBXmeY-2DM9KjQ&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=AGYZ7-AeerjxzYnIwL-lBLFI3SPYN3BDmku4qGQB4Tg&m=PncOl0WXk013td74sXDZsYd1kdfDxYtS0cydH5pfIgY&s=sYyRnSgDNAbjgPGWHgvGYczvghl556exV5wyGtpa4uI&e= . I’m not an expert, just a humble science illustrator/editor with a biology background. But this nugget of news makes me wonder what structure(s) coronaviruses have in common. That would be neat to show in an illustration. They also all seem to originate from wildlife markets and trades where humans are in close proximity to wild animals. Viruses have the advantage of being able to mutate and replicate quickly, and they will be a major challenge of our time. I think having accurate illustrations of viruses, as well as explanatory cartoons, will be VERY helpful if released to the general public.

Beyond the Purell and hand-washing and no-face-touching, I’m amazed that there’s very little talk about staying healthy (eating healthy foods, avoiding inflammatory foods, taking vitamins, getting enough sleep, all the stuff that keeps immune systems strong). It seems to me that a strong immune system would be the best defense against different strains of colds and flus.

Glad you’re taking this project on, Ron! And that you are insisting on accuracy!!

Stay healthy everyone!

Fiona

—

Fiona R. Martin

Layout Manager

GNSI Journal

Science Illustrator and Designer
Visualizing Science

+1(480)414-0301

Twitter | Linked In | GNSI

Senior Illustration Editor

Annual Reviews

+1(650)843-6626

Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Knowable Magazine