Dirk:

There are a few taxa in the desert SW US that apparently do not feed as adults, and possess reduced/vestigial mouthparts, e.g. Acoma and the Podolasiini.  There are similar taxa in similar ecological areas in southern South America.

Cheers,

Bill

From: Scarab Beetle Taxonomy Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Alberto Ballerio
Sent: Saturday, March 14, 2020 11:12 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Non-feeding adults in Scarabaeoidea

Hello Dirk,

as far as I know, among European Rhizotrogini there are some Amphimallon which do not feed as adults.

A reference is below:

Nonveiller G., 1960. – Probavni i ekskretorni organi malih gundelja sa opisom
regresivnih procesa u njihovoj grad

i kod nekih afagnih vrsta (tribus Rhizotrogini,
fam. Scarabaeidae, Coleoptera) [Der Bau der Verdauungs und Exkretionsorgane
der Rhizotrogini sowie Beschreibung der bei einigen aphagen Arten festgestellten
regressiven Prozessen (tribe Rhizotrogini, fam. Scarabaeidae, Coleoptera)]. Zbornik
radova Poljoprivrednog fakulteta [Review of Research work at the Faculty of
Agriculture], Zemun, 8 (297): 1-20. (In Serbo-Croatian, German summary).

Best regards,

Alberto