I agree. Especially the number of species on ripe fruit must be very large. Insert 'down under' before my statement.

Cheers
Chris

From: Scarab Beetle Taxonomy Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of William B. Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, March 15, 2020 6:17 AM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Non-feeding adults in Scarabaeoidea

Chris:

Many (most?) cetoniines do not go to flowers.  In the New World the three primary cetoniine feedings strategies are 1) sapping (feeding on plant exudates, especially fermenting sap flows (see pic below) and on fruit (usually in later stages of “ripeness,; most species in this group feed on both sources), 2) feeding on/in flowers, and 3) carnivory (Cremstocheilini).  In addition there are some that feed on roots as adults:  When you see species with erect (sharp) teeth on the clypeal apex, suspect root feeding (e.g. as in the former “Stephanucha” species).  Euphoria verticalis can often be found by pulling up sunflowers by their roots, the adults have there heads burried in a hole they’ve made in the tap root.  The dynastine Oxygrylius ruginasus is usually doing the same thing on the same plant root; my record thus far for E. verticalis on a single sunflower root is 22 specimens.

Cheers,

Bill