Greetings,

Norm makes a good point about the ‘letter of responsibility’ having questionable impact on the outcome of such an agreement. History has shown the same risks exist with the sign-off on formal loan invoices where the material never left a borrower’s main office. Once the material is in the hands of a borrower, it is expected that they will handle the material appropriately and take all effort to care for the material in a professional and diligent manner, and return the material by the loan deadline. An agreement to allow movement of material off-site would no way release the borrower from the same responsibility to care for the specimens as they would if in their lab.

Norm’s concern does motivate me to modify my earlier statement to ask any student, faced with having to work remotely, talk to your advisor and then contact me directly for permission to move Carnegie Museum material off-site, and I will be happy to evaluate each request separately.

No material should be mailed back to the museum at this time, and no loans will be processed during our shutdown, scheduled at this point to last two weeks, but considering the fluidity of the situation, that could last longer…

Cheers!

Bob

Robert A. Androw

Collection Manager - Section of Invertebrate Zoology

Phone (Androw desk): 412-353-4665

Phone (Section of IZ): 412-622-3259

Fax: 412-688-8670

E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Biodiversity Services Facility

Section of Invertebrate Zoology

Carnegie Museum of Natural History

4400 Forbes Avenue

Pittsburgh, PA 15213

Visit the Biodiversity Services Facility home page:

https://www.invertebratezoology.org/bsf/

What's new in the Section of Invertebrate Zoology? Visit:

https://carnegiemnh.org/researcher/sections/invertebrate-zoology/

Current exhibition and event news for the

Carnegie Museum of Natural History:

http://www.carnegiemnh.org/

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it." -- Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Sent from Mail for Windows 10