Dear all,

It is with great sadness that I write to inform you that Nicholas
Temperley, Professor Emeritus of Music at the University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign, passed away at his home in Urbana, Illinois on April 8 at
the age of 87.

Professor Temperley taught at the School of Music for nearly three decades,
from 1967 until his retirement in 1996. For more, please see Christina
Bashford's tribute here:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__music.illinois.edu_news_remembering-2Dnicholas-2Dtemperley&d=DwIBaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=ZWC4hmzidkPkm4muhK_yaST3F7WiZrfNSxQDjQMjJdM&s=yiqLDILN0L0WhOOotm8VQ54mWzJm8egZm26PKkCP5eg&e=

A memorial service will be planned for a later date. In lieu of flowers,
the family asks that donations be sent to the Evelyn Burnett Underwood fund
at the Urbana School District, which provides musical instruments to
students who can't otherwise afford them (contact Stacey Peterik at
speterik -at- usd116.org).

Sincerely,

Gayle Magee
Professor and Chair of Musicology