WOW! Thanks! Was not aware of the "Alt" world!

My jerry-rigged way was either unicode or copy and paste.

Cheers,

Mike

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 11:21 PM Margaret Thayer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Nice compilation/explanation, Mike.

In Windows 10 other codings for male and female (using the numeric keypad) that work in some programs are Alt-11 for ♂ and Alt-12 ♀ for female, as listed in the attached file. The only drawback--visible here--is that they are usually made with very fine lines and cannot be bolded. In my current version of Word, Access, and Excel, in some fonts they come out like this, larger and filled:  ♀  Note that the unicode method given in the document works in Word, but not in Excel/Powerpoint/Access/gmail.  The alt-codes work in Windows Notepad. You can also copy Word-generated unicode versions into notepad and they look the same as the alt-code ones in some fonts, but not others, where they are thick like the Word ones but of course without color fill. Weird inconsistencies, seeming to indicate that font designers and/or code developers don't regard them as important enough to worry about!

Stay safe and healthy, everyone,
Margaret

Margaret K. Thayer, Ph.D.  she/her
Curator Emerita and Lecturer (Committee on Evolutionary Biology)
Field Museum and University of Chicago
O: 312.665.7741 (direct)

Field Museum
1400 S. Lake Shore Drive