Did I misread, or does he say that Cather eschewed irony? Well, surface irony, conspicuous irony, yeah, but irony such as immersing us in Professor St. Peter's pov, as Sherrill points out, is a different matter. I, too, find much to disagree with in this grouchy piece. With Guy, about 90 per cent. And btw, I can get pretty excited about a new McEwan novel.

Janis Stout

Sent from Janis's iPad