My suggestion would be to talk with someone in Industrial Engineering.  Speed, throughput, output per time period is a metric that is specified for most industrial processes.  They would know how to read it.

--Anne

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Brian Eggleston
Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2020 2:20 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [AFEEMAIL] Estimating Real (Physical) Manufacturing Output

[External Email]

I have not delved into either of these but they might offer some clues/direction.

https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/44336/1/MPRA_paper_44336.pdf

https://www.nap.edu/read/10169/chapter/13#203

Brian

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 11:20 AM Kemp, Thomas A. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dear AFEE folks,

I'm working on a project where we are estimating physical potential economic output of specific manufactured goods.

I've already identified the firms that could likely 'do the work' using a mix of Census data, NAICS coding, and proprietary firm data.

From the latter I have data on the economic value (Revenues) of output at the firm and industry level but would prefer to be able to present findings in terms of physical output (e.g., Tonnes of manufactured output).

There's virtually no lit on this that I can find on how to go about doing this in a practical way. There are a couple of papers on Chinese physical capacity that I've found (clearly targeted towards the potential of military production) but almost nothing else.

So here's my question;

I'm sure that a lot of thought was put into this problem during the early days of the second world war. E.g., "How many tanks can this Ford car plant turn out in a week"? Does anybody know of where I might find some published description of the processes that economists of the era employed to do this?

I know that Veblen worked on this kind of stuff during World War I but that process seems to have been pretty unscientific. (At least Veblen didn't go into any detail that I can find.)

Given that there are a couple 100 firms that I've identified I'm hoping to find something better than 'just go ask them'.

Many thanks,

Tom

Dr. Thomas Kemp

Chair and Professor

Department of Economics

University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire

Eau Claire, WI 54702

715 836 2150

--

Brian Eggleston, Ph.D.

Department of Economics

Augustana University

Sioux Falls, SD 57197

Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes.  You are free.      Jim Morrison (The Doors)