In reply to the original question Walter W Stewart (colleague of Walton Hamilton) and part of the early institutionalist group wrote on indexes of industrial production in 1921. AER March 1921. He and Hamilton were involved with the WWI labour board. Mitchell was with the Prices Section of the WPB and produced a vast series of industry price indexes.

Malcolm Rutherford.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 18, 2020, at 7:39 AM, Jim Peach <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Tom

     What NAICS codes are you looking at  Some are easy to ind.  Examples include iron ore, steel, copper, automobiles, oil and gas.

From: AFEEMAIL Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Kemp, Thomas A.
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 11:54 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [AFEEMAIL] Estimating Real (Physical) Manufacturing Output

Dear AFEE folks,

I'm working on a project where we are estimating physical potential economic output of specific manufactured goods.

I've already identified the firms that could likely 'do the work' using a mix of Census data, NAICS coding, and proprietary firm data.

From the latter I have data on the economic value (Revenues) of output at the firm and industry level but would prefer to be able to present findings in terms of physical output (e.g., Tonnes of manufactured output).

There's virtually no lit on this that I can find on how to go about doing this in a practical way. There are a couple of papers on Chinese physical capacity that I've found (clearly targeted towards the potential of military production) but almost nothing else.

So here's my question;

I'm sure that a lot of thought was put into this problem during the early days of the second world war. E.g., "How many tanks can this Ford car plant turn out in a week"? Does anybody know of where I might find some published description of the processes that economists of the era employed to do this?

I know that Veblen worked on this kind of stuff during World War I but that process seems to have been pretty unscientific. (At least Veblen didn't go into any detail that I can find.)

Given that there are a couple 100 firms that I've identified I'm hoping to find something better than 'just go ask them'.

Many thanks,

Tom

Dr. Thomas Kemp

Chair and Professor