We are excited to announce the first issue of American Music published by
the journal’s new editorial team: editor Todd Decker and book review editor
Jacqueline Avila. Building on the strong work of past custodians of the
journal, especially outgoing editor Gayle Sherwood Magee, we strive to make
American Music a place that produces permanent new knowledge that
diversifies the voices that matter in music scholarship.

With the fortieth anniversary of American Music on the horizon in 2022, we
look forward to receiving innovative and adventurous submissions that push
music scholarship in more expansive and more inclusive directions. While
all topics relating to the journal’s title are welcome, we are especially
interested in:
• musical media and technology across all periods
• unknown musical lives (especially transnational, African American,
indigenous peoples, and immigrants to the Americas)
• music and musical lives in the twenty-first century
• Latin American musics
• music and race (incl. whiteness)
• music, sexuality, and gender (incl. masculinity)
• music, space, and place
• music and social dance
• music, social justice, and religious experience
• digital methods (incl. ethnography)

Proposals for special issues, forums, or unusual formats are welcome—and
exciting examples of these are already in the works. We invite our readers
to view our submission guidelines online (
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.press.uillinois.edu_journals_am_amsubmissions.html&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=j7OAWUvPEolrx4NDmkzIh-m2FvRgXdVj3K7zoHpaJws&s=Ftm4yzDaHgrX--aMgnm23PA5xszah_wWCHTzQ0MZIps&e= ) or contact
the editor, Todd Decker (tdecker -at- wustl -dot- edu), with any questions
about submitting to the journal.