We are excited to announce the first issue of American Music published by the journal’s new editorial team: editor Todd Decker and book review editor Jacqueline Avila. Building on the strong work of past custodians of the journal, especially outgoing editor Gayle Sherwood Magee, we strive to make American Music a place that produces permanent new knowledge that diversifies the voices that matter in music scholarship.

With the fortieth anniversary of American Music on the horizon in 2022, we look forward to receiving innovative and adventurous submissions that push music scholarship in more expansive and more inclusive directions. While all topics relating to the journal’s title are welcome, we are especially interested in:
musical media and technology across all periods
unknown musical lives (especially transnational, African American, indigenous peoples, and immigrants to the Americas)
music and musical lives in the twenty-first century
Latin American musics
music and race (incl. whiteness)
music, sexuality, and gender (incl. masculinity)
music, space, and place
music and social dance
music, social justice, and religious experience
digital methods (incl. ethnography)

Proposals for special issues, forums, or unusual formats are welcome—and exciting examples of these are already in the works. We invite our readers to view our submission guidelines online (https://www.press.uillinois.edu/journals/am/amsubmissions.html) or contact the editor, Todd Decker (tdecker -at- wustl -dot- edu), with any questions about submitting to the journal.