Re-envisaging Music: Listening in the Visual Age
Siena – Accademia Musicale Chigiana
10-12 December 2020
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__journal.chigiana.org_call-2D2020-2Dreshaping-2Dthe-2Dtraditions_&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=I9f4f2We907i96E_fL4h-TWVxa1YiaHbyobERnU3LAY&s=zYLWgUloi3C5oawmamuT4VXzb1YBkd8c8AWUOhq5emo&e=

Keynote Speaker: Prof. Leslie Korrick
School of the Arts, Media, Performance & Design, York University, Toronto
“Listening in the Age of Sound Art”

Music and images, seeing and hearing have always been inextricably linked.
Even when more autonomous concepts of music developed at various times
through the centuries, they arguably served to keep at bay the ever-present
visual dimensions of the act of listening. When we listen to music, do we
just listen? When we see a painting, or anything else, do we just watch?

The last few decades, however, have witnessed the advent of an ever more
pervasive visuality. From the development of technology to social media to
special effects, seeing is foregrounded like never before. What does this
mean for music? How do music’s materialities answer to the materialities of
visual objects and arts? How does music answer to the demands of pictures?
Do these new developments affect our listening and performance experiences?
What categories are particularly useful to explain the connections between
musical and visual domains? How are different musical traditions, from
“classical” music and opera to jazz, popular and folk music being re-
envisaged?

Possible topics for consideration include, but are not limited to, the
following:

   - live performance
   - site-specific performance
   - installations/sound art
   - video performance
   - live broadcasting
   - pre-existing music as soundtrack
   - historically informed listening
   - places/spaces for performance
   - urban musicology

The official languages of the conference are English and Italian.

A selection of the conference papers will be published in the 2021 volume
of Chigiana. Journal of Musicological Studies (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__journal.chigiana.org_&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=I9f4f2We907i96E_fL4h-TWVxa1YiaHbyobERnU3LAY&s=krGphh75xQUq0kxlklACEenh25Db-o-PY68IyuHmhvI&e=
).

Please send proposals to chigianajournal -at- chigiana.org by 25 June 2020.
Proposals should include:
– Title of paper
– Name of speaker(s)
– Institutional affiliation
– A proposal of c. 300 words

The papers should not exceed 30 minutes in duration.

We are aware that there are still uncertainties in the current scenario; we
will constantly monitor the situation and the measures that the Italian and
other governments put in place and we hope that by December 2020 it will be
possible to travel, so that the conference may go ahead as planned and we
can meet in Siena. If necessary, we will be running the conference online.