We are excited to announce the first issue of American Music published by the journal’s new editorial team: editor Todd Decker and book review editor Jacqueline Avila. Building on the strong work of past custodians of the journal, especially outgoing editor Gayle Sherwood Magee, we strive to make American Music a place that produces permanent new knowledge that diversifies the voices that matter in music scholarship.

In keeping with this mission, the articles in the issue explore relatively unknown American musical lives and practices, including spoken opera, an African American Broadway composer-performer, a transnational music theorist, and barbershop quartet contests. The review section demonstrates the breadth of scholarship in our field, with subjects ranging from vaudeville to video games to the concert hall.

American Music Vol. 38, Issue 1 (Spring 2020)
https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.5406/americanmusic.38.issue-1

Articles

Editor’s Introduction

Reciting Parsifal: Opera as Spoken Word Performance in America
Marian Wilson Kimber

From the Sidelines: Reginald Beane’s Broadway
Julianne Lindberg

Musofun: Joseph Schillinger’s Musical Game between American Music, Soviet Avant-Garde, and Combinatorics
Nikita Braguinski

From “the chord was king” to “a dynamic journey”: Changes in the Barbershop Quartet Style in Contests since the 1950s
Robert G. Hopkins

Book Reviews

Review: The Original Blues: The Emergence of the Blues in African American Vaudeville, by Lynn Abbott and Doug Seroff; May Irwin: Singing, Shouting, and the Shadow of Minstrelsy, by Sharon Ammen; Vaudeville Melodies: Popular Musicians and Mass Entertainment in American Culture, 1870-1929, by Nicholas Gebhardt
Thomas Riis

Review: “Very Good for an American”: Essays on Edward MacDowell, edited by E. Douglas Bomberger
Jacob A. Cohen

Review: Charles Ives’s “Concord”: Essays after a Sonata, by Kyle Gann
Geoffrey Block

Review: On the Road and Off the Record with Leonard Bernstein: My Years with the Exasperating Genius, by Charlie Harmon; Famous Father Girl: A Memoir of Growing up Bernstein, by Jamie Bernstein
Ann Glazer Niren

Review: Unlimited Replays: Video Games and Classical Music. By William Gibbons
Ryan Thompson