We are excited to announce the first issue of American Music published by
the journal’s new editorial team: editor Todd Decker and book review editor
Jacqueline Avila. Building on the strong work of past custodians of the
journal, especially outgoing editor Gayle Sherwood Magee, we strive to make
American Music a place that produces permanent new knowledge that
diversifies the voices that matter in music scholarship.

In keeping with this mission, the articles in the issue explore relatively
unknown American musical lives and practices, including spoken opera, an
African American Broadway composer-performer, a transnational music
theorist, and barbershop quartet contests. The review section demonstrates
the breadth of scholarship in our field, with subjects ranging from
vaudeville to video games to the concert hall.

American Music Vol. 38, Issue 1 (Spring 2020)
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.jstor.org_stable_10.5406_americanmusic.38.issue-2D1&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=Kxk2uh8EDEmCYX4FBRxuldUpfHdMTxJaAFzWCWRGxGA&s=W4IAErS6c4cKeTzCdneS8H5lk5AbrhmOpRGSIS5CFeU&e=

Articles

Editor’s Introduction

Reciting Parsifal: Opera as Spoken Word Performance in America
Marian Wilson Kimber

From the Sidelines: Reginald Beane’s Broadway
Julianne Lindberg

Musofun: Joseph Schillinger’s Musical Game between American Music, Soviet
Avant-Garde, and Combinatorics
Nikita Braguinski

From “the chord was king” to “a dynamic journey”: Changes in the Barbershop
Quartet Style in Contests since the 1950s
Robert G. Hopkins

Book Reviews

Review: The Original Blues: The Emergence of the Blues in African American
Vaudeville, by Lynn Abbott and Doug Seroff; May Irwin: Singing, Shouting,
and the Shadow of Minstrelsy, by Sharon Ammen; Vaudeville Melodies: Popular
Musicians and Mass Entertainment in American Culture, 1870-1929, by
Nicholas Gebhardt
Thomas Riis

Review: “Very Good for an American”: Essays on Edward MacDowell, edited by
E. Douglas Bomberger
Jacob A. Cohen

Review: Charles Ives’s “Concord”: Essays after a Sonata, by Kyle Gann
Geoffrey Block

Review: On the Road and Off the Record with Leonard Bernstein: My Years
with the Exasperating Genius, by Charlie Harmon; Famous Father Girl: A
Memoir of Growing up Bernstein, by Jamie Bernstein
Ann Glazer Niren

Review: Unlimited Replays: Video Games and Classical Music. By William
Gibbons
Ryan Thompson