Hi Christy,

We don't have a "verbatim collector" field in MCZBase. We attach the
collector name to the specimen that best fits the specimen label, unless
there is some ambiguity.

If the label says "J. Smith" I will attach a person [agent] called "J.
Smith", unless there's come context that says otherwise.
If it just says "Smith" we attach a person [agent] called "Smith",  unless
there's come context that says otherwise.
If it says "M. Thayer" [sorry, Margaret!] we'll attach the person [agent]
"Margaret Thayer" since that's a distinct enough name.

One can add taxonomic or institutional knowledge to help guide, but when in
doubt, I would go with a more general person [agent]

This is a case for having either a "verbatim label" field for the specimen,
or label images attached to the record that serve as a voucher in cases of
interpretation.

Hope that makes sense!

Crystal

--