Hey Christy and all,
With TaxonWorks, we do both! We have both a verbatim collector field and an attached person from our person table (shared across TW projects). This allows for considerable ambiguity and verbatim transcription, as well as one person going through all collectors later who is more familiar with the collection/people, and assigning all of them at once. Additionally, each person (any anything really) can have multiple “Alternate Values” as well as global (such as Wikidata or ORCID), and local identifiers.

Personally, one of my favorite things about TaxonWorks is how many “verbatim” data fields there are (“Buffered” or verbatim labels for both determination and collecting event, then verbatim parsed values for collecting events, then parsed values). Really helps when you are trying to figure out why exactly a given record was interpreted a certain way without having to go back to the specimen, which takes time and currently is impossible thanks to quarantine.

Best,

--
TOMMY MCELRATH
Insect Collection Manager

Illinois Natural History Survey
Prairie Research Institute
1816 S. Oak Street | M/C 652
Champaign, IL 61820
insect.inhs.illinois.edu

facebook    instagram

Under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act any written communication to or from university employees regarding university business is a public record and may be subject to public disclosure.