Thanks Rachel, it was a nice diversion to read about the expedition and the follow up documentation from the link that Scott provided. The MCZ specimens look great even after 153+ years. Although I stopped perusing about the expedition when I zoomed to one of the collection sites on Google Earth and saw all the deforestation.

Neil

“Are there 200,000 species of arthropods in North America?”

From: Rachel Hawkins <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, May 7, 2020 3:59 PM
To: Neil Stanley Cobb <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: database and collector's names

Neil et al - The wide date range on that MCZ Lep is an artifact of our data entry. The specimen had no verbatim date, so it got the our default date range in data entry. Unfortunately it's too time-costly to ask data enterers to do this sort of research and date restriction upon initial data entry -- much more efficient later on when you have aggregated events and localities to clean in bulk.

And yes, Margaret is right - the Thayer Expedition was a big MCZ expedition to Brazil in late 1800s; there is documentation on this. We haven't done a project doing research-based date-narrowing for our existing events yet, but I can take a look at our Thayer Expedition events! :)

Rachel