Two thumbs up on the ORCIDs for people in collections databases! I saw that Alaska Museum has that in their Arctos DB, and it looks like a nice feature for disambiguating people.

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 12:34 PM Dikow, Torsten <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi all,

I would rather vote for implementation of the new Darwin-Core fields recordedByID and identifiedByID - see tweet by GBIF https://twitter.com/GBIF/status/1244892796034703361 - and adding ORCIDs or WikiData Q numbers for people in your databases to disambiguate them. That way, no matter how a person's name is abbreviated, shortened, or used, it points to the same individual. Bloodhound Tracker also will take advantage of these fields and David Shorthouse has just submitted a new data-set to GBIF using these fields https://twitter.com/dpsSpiders/status/1258137166997270531 .

Best wishes, Torsten

. . . . .
Torsten Dikow, Ph.D.
Research Entomologist for Diptera
w 202.633.1005 [log in to unmask]

SMITHSONIAN INSTITUTION
NATIONAL MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY

. . . access to research data at ORCiD http://orcid.org/0000-0003-4816-2909

From: Entomological Collections Network Listserve <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Katja Seltmann <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, May 7, 2020 11:21
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: database and collector's names

External Email - Exercise Caution

If you have not seen it yet, check out https://bloodhound-tracker.net/ It is a fun application built to track (and cluster) names of people who collect and identify specimens. I was pretty amazed to see how many versions of my name were out there.

"verbatimRecordedBy" might be a good candidate for community contribution for Darwin Core? There are many verbatim fields for sharing information, but not one for collector. The process of changing the standard starts with submitting a issue about it (documenting it) here:

We would need to make the request:
* Submitter:*
 Proponents (at least two independent parties who need this term):
* Justification (why is this term necessary?):

Best,
Katja