*Call for talks for 2020 ECN symposium: “Entomology collections during a
global pandemic”*

During this global pandemic, entomological collections have been
drastically affected. From furloughed employees, to working on specimens
from home, to responding to stories about "murder" hornets, we’ve all been
impacted in numerous ways. We’re looking for presentations talking about
how you and your collection have responded to this pandemic. We want to
hear from all members of the global collections community, and are seeking
diverse members from public, private, government, and independent
entomological collections. The symposium will be at least partially online
via pre-recorded talks to accommodate presenters who cannot travel due to
COVID-19 concerns. If COVID-19 has affected your collection in some way,
this symposium may be for you. Preferred topics include: - dealing with
safety in accessing and reopening collections during COVID-19 - IPM with
remote or limited collections management - conducting outreach and
education without regular access to specimens - what was lost due to
shutdowns, layoffs, or furloughs - what was gained or accomplished during
stay at home orders or lockdowns - how workflows and priorities changed or
shifted during lockdowns - what you gained from the COVID-19 pandemic -
daily collections life during COVID-19 - creative solutions to working with
collections during the pandemic - how collections have helped address the
science of COVID-19 - how were grants from big agencies influenced by
COVID-19 Talks should be pre-recorded and should not exceed 12 min. We are
open to any length below 15 minutes as well and are locking forward to
diverse and informative presentations. If this topic inspires you, please
send us a draft title and abstract so we can discuss your proposed talk to
see if it suits. Please send us (via our email) your input by end of (your)
Wednesday June 24th. Organizers: Tommy McElrath, Illinois Natural History
Survey, Prairie Research Institute, UIUC, [log in to unmask] Oliver
Keller, Entomological Collections Network Program Co-chair,

Oliver Keller, Ph.D.
Dept. of Entomology and Nematology
University of Florida
Natural Area Drive