Call for talks for 2020 ECN symposium: “Entomology collections during a global pandemic”

During this global pandemic, entomological collections have been drastically affected. From furloughed employees, to working on specimens from home, to responding to stories about "murder" hornets, we’ve all been impacted in numerous ways. We’re looking for presentations talking about how you and your collection have responded to this pandemic. We want to hear from all members of the global collections community, and are seeking diverse members from public, private, government, and independent entomological collections. The symposium will be at least partially online via pre-recorded talks to accommodate presenters who cannot travel due to COVID-19 concerns. If COVID-19 has affected your collection in some way, this symposium may be for you. Preferred topics include: - dealing with safety in accessing and reopening collections during COVID-19 - IPM with remote or limited collections management - conducting outreach and education without regular access to specimens - what was lost due to shutdowns, layoffs, or furloughs - what was gained or accomplished during stay at home orders or lockdowns - how workflows and priorities changed or shifted during lockdowns - what you gained from the COVID-19 pandemic - daily collections life during COVID-19 - creative solutions to working with collections during the pandemic - how collections have helped address the science of COVID-19 - how were grants from big agencies influenced by COVID-19 Talks should be pre-recorded and should not exceed 12 min. We are open to any length below 15 minutes as well and are locking forward to diverse and informative presentations. If this topic inspires you, please send us a draft title and abstract so we can discuss your proposed talk to see if it suits. Please send us (via our email) your input by end of (your) Wednesday June 24th. Organizers: Tommy McElrath, Illinois Natural History Survey, Prairie Research Institute, UIUC, [log in to unmask] Oliver Keller, Entomological Collections Network Program Co-chair, [log in to unmask]

--
Oliver Keller, Ph.D.
Dept. of Entomology and Nematology

Phone: (586) 850-0246