The deadline for proposals has been extended until 11:59 EST on Sunday,
June 14.

Please note – There has not been a decision on whether or not SMT will
convene in person in Minneapolis this year. Regardless, this panel
discussion WILL happen, either in person, via Zoom, or a hybrid of the two.
Please don’t let uncertainties regarding travel stop you from submitting a
proposal!

AMS/SMT Minneapolis 2020:

Call for Participants in a Panel Discussion hosted by the Society for Music
Theory’s Popular Music Interest Group

Panel Discussion: The Music of “Monstrous Men”: Negotiating Popular Music
and the Musicians Who Make It.

While the “monstrous men” of the 2017 Paris Review article include artists
of many ilks, the recent releases of documentaries Surviving R. Kelly
(2019) and Leaving Neverland (2019), alongside highly publicized
allegations and trials against prominent pop music figures like Ryan Adams
and Dr. Luke have brought renewed attention to abuses within the pop music
industry. Within academia, this question has been recently addressed by
Will Cheng, Phillip Ewell, and Ellie Hisama.

This discussion will focus on our research and teaching as popular music
scholars, educators, and historians. Do we avoid the music of these
problematic creators and find other examples to use in our articles and in
the classroom? Or do we lean into the discomfort that these examples might
provoke and use them as jumping-off points for discussions about power,
danger, and prejudice? Additionally, how are these issues articulated in
the musical syntax that we study as music theorists?

We are soliciting proposals for short (5-7 minute) expository arguments, to
be followed by a longer panel discussion and question/answer period. Please
submit a 300-word proposal to mferrandino -at- ku.edu by 11:59 pm (EST) on
Sunday, June 14.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__hcommons.org_groups_society-2Dfor-2Dmusic-2Dtheory-2Dpopular-2Dmusic-2Dinterest-2Dgroup_forum_topic_deadline-2Dextended-2Dadditional-2Dinfo_&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=19nu_ZjVBOV6uGOo_A2tptXMetiTwPTst44E5f0sLHk&s=mddkwb-WNBUa7CfxPPsRIZ0U3QpENybpgXdwieO8fqE&e=