https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.royalholloway.ac.uk_research-2Dand-2Dteaching_departments-2Dand-2Dschools_music_events_orchestrating-2Disolation-2Dmusical-2Dinterventions-2Dand-2Dinequality-2Din-2Dthe-2Dcovid-2D19-2Dfallout_&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=X51cRuIz_VJpTEw2PsXvp7ALXPRqKjM5RLUP556QRxk&s=uGFlVzX_DYXOy_z9qpfcZL7UQSsAWpBuZ00p3djUlDE&e=

This webinar calls to attention the devastation caused by COVID to music
practitioners and researchers in precarious labour and education, even as
we mourn the traumatic losses of artists, scholars and teachers to the
disease. It is interventionist while remaining reflective in its commitment
to not simply ‘waiting it out’ at a time when the world is no longer going
to be the same again, in spite—or because—of the fact that basic systems of
society continue to run, tenuously and miraculously at unimaginable costs:
COVID-19-related racism, inequality in healthcare provision, economic
impacts of industry shutdowns (not least music and live entertainment),
closing of national borders; devastation of livelihoods.

What can and should (ethno)musicologists, musicians, composers do? We do
not simply 'press pause', but rethink the way we make, write (about) and
teach music. While we acknowledge that things cannot go on as before, we
remember that in the pre-2020 world, there already existed complex, musical
global challenges whose need for addressing should not be diminished a
force majeure event. We are committed to exploring how inequalities and
(incl. race- and class-based) marginalities intersect with evolving
catastrophic developments that are not as society-levelling as imagined.

We ask:

1. How has COVID changed musicking, research and teaching across borders
along new baselines of re-levelled virtuality? In the rush to embrace
online music, how do we deal with digital inequalities and censorship?
2. What are the cultural differences in home-based musicking, as well its
eventual remediation online? Where do issues of privacy and unequal access
to home performance spaces fit into debates?
3. Are there cultural differences in reading musical 'gesture' across a
screen?
4. In re-introduced live performance, how do differing ideas of musical
social distancing across geocultural and class contexts prevail?
5. What is the potential re-levelling of representational input of diverse
voices in a virtual context?
6. What is impact on the recruitment of international students to music
programmes?
7. How has the closure of national borders affected jobbing musicians?
8. How have intersectional politics played out on COVID-related racial
aggressions against East Asian and POC musicians?

This event will feature keynote speaker-performers Jennifer Koh and Kiku
Day.
For a full lineup of the event, please visit: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__tinyurl.com_rp9uqy8&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=X51cRuIz_VJpTEw2PsXvp7ALXPRqKjM5RLUP556QRxk&s=CHTR1o-eq0iuaEDIiPnK5sbFAJpuwb74qO6Azs2H75A&e=