Just an FYI, again :).  After resetting the preferences to default (per James Perkins, above), then modifying the default values to your own needs, you can copy those preferences as I mentioned earlier.  If this problem reoccurs, you can simply copy your saved preferences back into Photoshop, which very well might eliminate the corrupted file.  Besides which, you won't have to go back through the default preferences again to reset them to your needs.

Good luck,
bab