Thanks Karen.  I followed the collective advice of members of the GNSI who kindly wrote back to me yesterday and that seemed to fully solve my problem.  What appears to be the simplest method of fixing things and just returning back to the default level (e.g. “factory settings”) on Photoshop, was to use the following command set when restarting the program (on a Mac):

                                                                                         Option+Command+Shift.

Best wishes,
Mike R.