Hi there:
I agree with Bruce in that it depends upon the definition of "close up", and also "good binoculars".

Within some brands, some MODELS are better at close focusing. My friend bought her Vortexes especially for close focusing and she thinks they are fine for birding.  I've asked her which model she has.   She and I can stand side by side and she is focusing her Vorgex glasses about a foot closer than my Swarovskis. All I have to do is back up a foot, no problem. We were looking at aquatic insects just last week.

I love mine for both distance and up close, and although they do focus closer than 6 feet for some people, with my eyes (wearing glasses)  I get 6.75' as measured. Wearing glasses make a difference.  My last pair (different model) focused at ~15-17 feet and the ones I have now I simply love.

Bruntons came really close to the compromise you mention. The 7.5x42 were excellent glass in doing both.  Ours can focus on shoelaces and the glass is premium for distance, if you like 7.5x . Too bad they don't make them anymore. boo hoo. Otherwise I'd sure recommend them.

What one has to do is try them out if at all possible.  It's like wearing a pair of shoes, a personal fit.

I'm glad you like the Vortex, I'm hearing good things about that brand.  I'll let you know what my friend's model is.
Cheers,
Linda
Linda M. Feltner Artist LLC
P.O. Box 325, Hereford, AZ 85615