From: Entomological Collections Network Listserve <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Neil Stanley Cobb
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 6:39 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: The bee challenge

There are many challenges concerning identification but in my opinion, it is just wrong to only digitize specimens that have been identified to species by an “authority”. If you are not committed to having every specimen in your collection identified to the best resolution possible then it is just taking up space. If there is any hope of achieving Quentin Wheeler’s challenge of identifying every species on the planet by 2050 then we need to start thinking outside the box. Nobody in 2020 should be sending out loans for identification without digitizing the specimens. It should be unacceptable to not link an identification back to a specific specimen. The cost of digitizing is small compared to have specimens sit in a drawer for decades taking up space. Digitizing does increase our ability to have more specimens properly identified faster than letting them sit in a unit tray. Digitization of material should make it easier for people to have revisionary work funded.  Digitization projects should typically prioritize, but anything that leads to checkerboarding in the digitization process should be avoided.