From: SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration- <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Bruce Bartrug
Sent: Friday, 31 July 2020 8:56 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SCIART] changing photo format from jpeg to raw or dng

Don't think that would work, MaryBeth.  I just tried opening a jpg in Pshop and saving it as a DNG.  Not an option.  You would not be adding to the detail or other data even if it were possible.

When you say "data loss problem," what exactly is it that you mean?  One can save jpegs at 100%, e.g., no content loss.  Or save them as PDFs, which would also save without content loss.  The question you need to ask is how were the jpegs originally saved, with or without compression.  JPEGS are the least volume in your storage devices also, so it would seem best to simply save them with no compression loss.  Depending of course on the size of storage drive.....and your backup storage drive.

Bruce